Assistant Accountant At World Vision
About the job
With over 70 years of experience, our focus is on helping the most vulnerable children overcome poverty and experience fullness of life. We help children of all backgrounds, even in the most dangerous places, inspired by our Christian faith.
Come join our 33,000+ staff working in nearly 100 countries and share the joy of transforming vulnerable children’s life stories!
Planning and Budgeting
Assist Programme Accountant to ensure project planning and budgeting work schedule to meet the requirements/deadlines by the NO and other relevant stakeholders.
Support Programme Accountant & programme/ project team to ensure programme/project budgets are clear and aligned with project goals and outcomes, by giving due consideration to WVI Finance Policies and donor regulations.
- Prepare and process bank deposits/withdrawals and petty cash payments.
- Prepare vouchers, process invoices for payment.
- Post transactions to general ledger/voucher interface.
- Review employee expense reports and code appropriately
- File accounting related documents for easy retrieval.
- (if financial partnering involved) Verify the fund transfer to partners and documentation as per agreements; and review and amend (if necessary) financial information provided by partners for consolidation in WV.
Ensure timeliness, completeness and accuracy in all accounting documents.
Reporting and Compliance
- Assist programme/project team in preparing budget vs. actual variance explanations report.
- Contribute to the development of financial monitoring system, analyzing and sharing financial reports/ information.
- Identify key donor requirements and communicate to programme/project team.
- Support compliance with key Finance requirements (monthly FFR report, completed LDRs by all ADP staff, monthly reconciliations (fixed assets and balance sheet accounts).
- (If financial partnering involved) Perform monitoring on partners’ financial and accounting operations as per agreements, local government, WV requirements and donor regulations; review and analyze partners’ financial reports; and assist necessary amendments on partners’ financial reports.
Risk Management and Internal Controls
Support adherence to proper internal control system by programme/project team.
Promote and practice transparency and integrity for good stewardship of resources.
Communicate to appropriate people potential risk observed in the program implementation.
Assist Programme Accountant to take corrective actions/measures on audit recommendations and regularly monitor progress, in partnership with NO and partner finance departments.
(If financial partnering involved) Assist partners to identify areas for improvements on internal control systems to carry out the activities as per agreements; and support to develop internal control system/manual as required.
- Staff Capacity Building
- Conduct orientation on finance policies and procedures to newly hired staff
- Partner Capacity Building
- Support financial training and mentorship with partners.
- Other Competencies/Attributes
- The preferred candidate must:
Be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
Attend and participate and lead in daily devotions and weekly Chapel services.
Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience, or on-the-job training:
- The incumbent should have a diploma in Accounting, Finance, or any finance-related diploma, and at least one year of work experience in accounting.
- Knowledge of Sun-Systems, PMQA, CAL Allocation Methodology, and other computer-related financial/accounting systems and budgeting is an added advantage.
- Experience and proficiency on financial software and reporting systems.
- Must be a good problem solver, analytical, creative, and innovative.
- Ability to manage interpersonal relations and work effectively with others.
- He/ She must have a good command of the English Language, both written and spoken.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, emotional maturity, and physical stamina.
- Demonstrated capacity to function well in a team and contribute effectively to team efforts.
- Commitment to World Vision Core Values and Mission Statement and participation in devotions.
- Ability to exhibit exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific local cultural context.
Working Environment / Conditions
Work environment: Office-based with occasional travel to the field.
WV Zambia takes a zero tolerance to safeguarding breaches in all its operations. Zero tolerance means;
Failure to follow WV’s safeguarding behaviour protocols, or any other part of the WV safeguarding policy.
Other inappropriate behaviour toward children and adults in the communities we work.
Or failing to report a known or suspected safeguarding incident committed by a WV staff or affiliate
Applicant Types Accepted
Local Applicants Only
Posted on Nov 22, 2023.